Friday October 31st is World Teachers Day........YAY for fabulous teachers. Teaching involves lots of hard work and not enough pay.
My sister has just finished her degree and is now teaching high school students, MIL is an early childhood teacher and also a qualified primary teacher, Scott's aunt is a primary teacher and his uncle has just retired from high school arts teaching...they work (have worked) very hard and it is sad that teachers are so under valued in our society. So thank you from me to all the wonderful teachers.
Liam has a lovely teacher for his first year at school, Ms Cannan, and tomorrow Liam is taking some cakes to celebrate!
It gave me a chance to try out my $10 cupcake stand from coles, lol.
I made some Florties, Flpries and Flongies (pmsl) last night.Using this pattern with crescent.
I used the size Medium for Ari and it is a little big but will surely fit him for a long time. I couldnt convince Nate to try them on but they would fit him I reckon (he no longer wears nappies though).
Made with MM Fleece, 300wt (navy) for the body and 200wt (baby blue or green) for the waists.
Heres Ari modeling the Flongies with the help of big brother Liam.
I will make him another pair of short florties for summer, maybe in the 200wt for daytime.
Using an old sheet (for fear of stuffing up my other fabric) and 2 SS rings bought from the local BCF (Boating, Camping and Fishing) store I made this bag tonight.
The tute is detailed and it was quiet easy to follow. I did do mine a little differently in that I did not overlock and fold the entire opening but rather sewed the lining and outer right sides together and then turned them (out the strap hole) and top stitched...continuing along the strap. I hope that makes sense, lol. I found that really easy to do.
The tail is long enough that I will be adding a pocket to it, I have just run out of time tonight. Will probably use snaps to close as I don't do zippers yet ;).
I bought 40mm rings - too small! I got it to work but if making it again I would want at least 60mm.
Thanks Mel for the great tute.
PS. there is no measurement for the strap width - made them 12.5cm on the fold.
I tried to sew an Onbag earlier this week (will come back with the link) - it is not exactly true to the pattern but it seems to work OK.
My sewing machine has a rolled hem foot but I cant for the life of me use it properly. So things were stitched and turned instead - the final piecing together has seams on the inside which aren't pretty but should hold it all together, lol. The corners are shocking.
I am honestly not sure I love it. I tried it with a Mei Tai and just felt as though I had heaps on straps all over me. Maybe with a wrap it wouldn't seem so much.
It is nice and big. In the photo collage I have a shot with it half full - 3 AIO nappies, 2 terry flats, 2 changes of clothes and a water bottle with plenty of room to spare.
It was fairly cheap to make - I used 3 metres of cotton drill that was maybe $10-12 on special and a dress that was damaged (and that made me look twice my size) as the accent. It took a while to sew, if I could figure out the rolled hem it would of been easier. I also could of done with 3.5 metres of material to save me adding bits on the ends of the straps (very messily, I have to unpick and redo I think). I also will be adding some snap closures to the pockets when I get around to it.
I can hardly resist a chance to buy a nappy or knits from PP. I love our KK fitteds for night time and our PP knits get a good workout , so cute and a great price. So far our PP stash includes 3 longies, 3 shorties and a soaker.
When I saw a pair of shorties and a KK on special for $25 a pop I rushed in to snaffle them but sadly they were already sold.
Luckily for me Robyn offered me another pair of shorties and an AIO. So wonderful!!!
So here is my littlest man in his new shorties and Windpro KK AIO.
Thank you Robyn! Hopefully in the next week (or maybe the one after) you will receive a little parcel in the mail from me (with help from Sarah from Sunshine and Lollipops) - as a thank you.
My in laws just returned from Bali - I sent MIL the request for 2 sarongs or selendangs for baby wearing.
She returned with 2 cotton and one silk(??) I gave the cottons a whirl as simple knotted hip carriers (slings) and they were great but what I really wanted to try was a torso carry. So here we are.
And heres the result of 5 minutes of carrying...
I didn't quiet get it right, it started slipping in that 5 minutes but I will keep trying. I really want to make a podegai to try as well as torso carries are super as they take the weight off your shoulders and leave your arms free.
I had a play and made Beth a pair of pajama pants using the extra large size (with no crescent) which fit her perfectly.
So easy to sew - and so quick!!
I used a very light weight cotton and a baby stretch terry, both of which were given to me so the pants cost me nothing but the pattern ($10) and my time, cant complain about that. This pattern is going to get a work out making Ari some fleece shorts and pull up covers for summer so will be well worth my money.
I recently took the kids and DH to visit my grandparents. Pop started his next round of chemo so wasn't feeling the best but we got to spend a little time with him and introduced him to our youngest, Ari.
Sad as it is to see him so sick and nan obviously so worried, I always get pleasure from their garden....probably sounds weird but it is just so them.
It was a quick visit that also involved a visit to my sisters new place in Abermaine (near Kurri Kurri and Cessnock). It is what you could politly call a shack, what my mum calls a dump and what the bank lenders called derelict. I took no photos of it as I just didn't think too but gosh there is a lot of work to do. I hope they can get it done and get moved into their own place.